Author Topic: I need a new camera... any advice?  (Read 2467 times)

James

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
I need a new camera... any advice?
« on: June 15, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »

I talked to my buddy who works at a camera shop, and he recommended the Nikon aw100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+Coolpix+AW100+Orange+16.0-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Orange/3176102.p?id=1218382960829&skuId=3176102&st=nikon cameras&cp=2&lp=2

A Fuji Fine Pix XP100 (I currently have a 20)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=1218577514834&type=product

and and Olympus Tough (I think the TG-120)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=1218588867481&type=product

I like the Fuji, because I know it

I like the Nikon because my buddy I play hockey with, and he's worked in a camera shop for years recommended..

I like the Olympus because the lense closes, and the guy at Best Buy recommended it..

Now I'm liking the Canon Powershot. CameronTnagler (on CF) takes great pictures with it, and I love his underwater shots... I'm not seeing that camera at Best Buy though, and will probably be putting this on our Best Buy card..

Since I really don't know too much about cameras, this is a tough call for me.. 

Reading reviews has only confused me. One person will rave about a feature, and the next one will complain about the same feature.. 

I really appreciate all input, thanks 

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new camera... any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Nikkon anything
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

jfred17

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • www.jonathanfhill.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
I have had two of the Tough series and really liked them a lot. I now use the Panasonic Lumix. I like it better than the Tough's, but really I think what you are looking at, any one of them will be a good camera.

Rick

• Colorado Mountain Man
  • Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Mountain Fishing
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
IM another that uses the Lumix and had the Canon D10 powershot before it... the Canon was a better camera but big and bulky.  But I highly recommend it.  I also really like the Lumix just not as much as I did the Canon for picture quality.   Canon has a new camera coming out or out already called the D20 I'd check it out.
The worst part of losing good fish is that you cannot release them. They tailwalk across the back of your mind for days.' - Christopher Camuto

Vanish

• Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
I no longer support Nikon since we had Forrest's camera less than a year before it started giving lens errors. We sent it back in and they wanted more to fix it than we paid for it.

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
I no longer support Nikon since we had Forrest's camera less than a year before it started giving lens errors. We sent it back in and they wanted more to fix it than we paid for it.
Bummer
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

COCarp

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • ColoradoCarp
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
I've got the Style tough.  Great camera and would recommend it.
“The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish.”
- Sam Snead

James

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

Thanks everyone!

knute

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
One feature I've found I really use is the macro zoom for good tight closeups of fly patterns, fish scales, bugs, etc.  The relatively less expensive Panasonic Lumix TS10 I got last year has a really good macro capability.  Rated out very good on Consumer Reports also if you want to check that site.

JamieC

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »
I have a Nikon and I have the canon that tangler uses. My last couple trips? ...... IPhone.  It takes great shots etc.

However if I got to go with one, that canon is money.

James

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

Thanks everyone. So far, I'm leaning towards the Olympus..

Slowdown, my wife has an i-phone, and takes amazing pictures with it. I've been jealous of it's camera for about a year now, but my contract's up in Sept. , and I'll be getting one    ;D

Thanks again for the replies

silvertip8k

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • Hi-Stick It !
    • View Profile
    • tales of a wandering monk
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:28:45 AM »
for what its worth...I have been using canons for over 15 years...excellent customer service...I mean outstanding...and if you use a camera as much as I do that can mean a lot...

the newer EOS rebel is a great SLR digital...the fact that I paid 1500 for my fist one(8 meg) and now they are under 500 does hurt a bit(10 or 12 meg)...but that is the way it works?? ::)

the software that canon uses is also very good...it blends w/ photo shop and my other art programs well...something def worth considering...t
ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
Ps. 24:1
public land pope & young
public water 20"er
www.wmflyrodco.com