Author Topic: Tippet?  (Read 4465 times)

James

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
Tippet?
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

I started using any, then switched to Sportmans brand. Then found Frog'sHair, really liked it, and have been using that. Sportsmans no longer carries it though, and I wondered what everyone else uses? Thanks

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
Re: Tippet?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
James:
 One can't go wrong with RIO. I've been fishing with it since it came out.
I tried frogs hair once and was disappointed
And only use it now for rib
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:39:42 PM by Dang old king »
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Interesting topic James. You probably will get a wide array on this one. I use Rio for the most part not that I think it is so much better than the other majors out there. Have been trying out the Orvis Mirage on the fluoro stuff. But I am not to picky and neither are most of the fish I chase. I suspect guys like Steve, Bob and others have better input for you. It probably is more critical in tail water stuff to a large degree IMO.
Mike Newell

Rick

• Colorado Mountain Man
  • Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Mountain Fishing
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
I use Rio as well.
The worst part of losing good fish is that you cannot release them. They tailwalk across the back of your mind for days.' - Christopher Camuto

JamieC

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
I use RIO

moosegoose

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • 719Fly
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

I am amazed how expensive some of those other brands can get!

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

All the hub bub over fluoro. I've caught 10's of thousands of fish. Fluoro shmuoro. Just another way to get money. The sport is expensive to begin with. Thirteen dollars for some fancy schmancy tippet is ridiculous. Don't Be ridiculous. 
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

JamieC

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

All the hub bub over fluoro. I've caught 10's of thousands of fish. Fluoro shmuoro. Just another way to get money. The sport is expensive to begin with. Thirteen dollars for some fancy schmancy tippet is ridiculous. Don't Be ridiculous. 

Agree a thousand percent.   4.50 or 14.99. It's not 3x better. Shouldn't cost 3x more. Ridiculous.

solo

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:36 AM »
I'm your basic cheapskate.  I buy 2, 4, and 6 lb spools fishing line (250 yrds for ~ $12 vs. tippet of 30 yrds for $5+) and make my own spools to carry to the river. It has more memory than real tippet and is slightly less strength for the same diameter, but I'm not good enough fisherman to tell the difference.

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 07:08:02 AM »
Rio x5..  ;D

That is interesting view on fluoro Steve. I would have thought you would be using the stuff on tail waters. So do you drop leader size on your droppers off the lead fly to make the line less visable rather than use fluoro? Just curious. BTW, I do agree with you that fly fishing stuff tends to be a bit over priced and yes flouro is over priced compared to the regular tippet material IMO as well.
Mike Newell

JamieC

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

That is interesting view on fluoro Steve. I would have thought you would be using the stuff on tail waters. So do you drop leader size on your droppers off the lead fly to make the line less visable rather than use fluoro? Just curious. BTW, I do agree with you that fly fishing stuff tends to be a bit over priced and yes flouro is over priced compared to the regular tippet material IMO as well.

I don't know how Da King does it, but I do drop sizes on droppers.

Typically, during the witner, I will fish 5x or 4x on the dry.  Go to 5x or 6x on the dropper.  I never go below 6x, and most of the time im rarely below 5x.  I grew up on the east coast where we had a lot fo tailwaters.  One of my favorites, the South Holston, woudl jump up to a discharge of 1000cfs down to 80 cfs for fishable.  That was daily.  Twice daily.

During the 80cfs times we fished super long leaders.  Imagine a 100ft wide river with 80cfs spread across it.  Crazy.  The fish were unreal spooky.  So in one of my favorite sections I would fish a 20ft leader.  The last 3 ft of which was 6x.

We would buy 15ft 3x leaders, then taper to 6x. 

I DO NOT miss those days.  I will say this though.  Learning to cast 60ft accurately when 20ft of it was leader, made me a much more accurate caster.

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

Typically, during the witner, I will fish 5x or 4x on the dry.  Go to 5x or 6x on the dropper.  I never go below 6x, and most of the time im rarely below 5x.  I grew up on the east coast where we had a lot fo tailwaters.  One of my favorites, the South Holston, woudl jump up to a discharge of 1000cfs down to 80 cfs for fishable.  That was daily.  Twice daily.

During the 80cfs times we fished super long leaders.  Imagine a 100ft wide river with 80cfs spread across it.  Crazy.  The fish were unreal spooky.  So in one of my favorite sections I would fish a 20ft leader.  The last 3 ft of which was 6x.

I DO NOT miss those days.  I will say this though.  Learning to cast 60ft accurately when 20ft of it was leader, made me a much more accurate caster.
Dropping size of tippet on the dropper is what I do as well. Interesting thought on very long leaders. Glad I am into small stream stuff. You mentioned the jump on the South Holston, that reminds me of fishing the White River below Bull Shoales where the river level would raise over 15 feet making fly fishing somewhat difficult at best. Glad to be here in Colorado where such exercises are not necessary, at least in my area.
Mike Newell

JamieC

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

Dropping size of tippet on the dropper is what I do as well. Interesting thought on very long leaders. Glad I am into small stream stuff. You mentioned the jump on the South Holston, that reminds me of fishing the White River below Bull Shoales where the river level would raise over 15 feet making fly fishing somewhat difficult at best. Glad to be here in Colorado where such exercises are not necessary, at least in my area.

Just like the White (been a long time since I was there).  The TVA dams, Holston, Patrick Henry, Watauga, etc. are all controled for Power Generation.  So you had to call ahead of time to get the schedule to plan your foat/ wade trip. 

The fishing could be epic, but Im like you.  I enjoy what we have here too much to want to go back there.

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Rio x5..  ;D

Just like the White (been a long time since I was there).  The TVA dams, Holston, Patrick Henry, Watauga, etc. are all controled for Power Generation.  So you had to call ahead of time to get the schedule to plan your foat/ wade trip. 

The fishing could be epic, but Im like you.  I enjoy what we have here too much to want to go back there.

Absolutely agree. We all are blessed to have such quality playgrounds at our disposal and most of us don't have to drive 4-5 hours to find a trout. People back east would kill for what we have. Sometimes we take for granted what others do not have easy access to and this state has so much QUALITY Public Land, Wow Factor. Now I am sounding like a commercial for state tourism.
Mike Newell

knute

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
FYI, recent edition of Flyfisherman mag (maybe it was the one before most recent?) has an article summarizing what appears to be quite a bit of data testing a number of tippet brands.  First time I've ever seen anything resembling a bit of science on the subject.  What was particularly interesting was the testing of knot strength.  Seems like most of my breaks recently have been at tippet-to-tippet or tippet-to-leader knots.  Anyway, for what it's worth.