Author Topic: Tippet?  (Read 4466 times)

COCarp

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • ColoradoCarp
Re: Tippet?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
I'm like Solo.  Seagar is the latest and greatest.  They sell big spools for like $15 bucks where as 35 yds of 5x is $20.  Bass Pro.  Check it out.
“The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish.”
- Sam Snead

Goldentrout17

• Frying Pan Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Been a Seagar fan for years.........it runs true to size/diameter unlike Rio and is very strong. It has been the difference for me with trophy Goldens many many times.

James

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. This truely is a good site (thanks Rick). I actually went back to Sportsmans, and bought the cheaper Scientific Angler, but will try the others listed as well. Thanks again!

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. This truely is a good site (thanks Rick). I actually went back to Sportsmans, and bought the cheaper Scientific Angler, but will try the others listed as well. Thanks again!
Ha, heck James truth be known that is probably what I put on recently and did not realize it. If the fish are to picky I suggest going somewhere else less fished. Truth be known, picky fish drive us all a bit nuts. Besides you seem to get into a fair share of fish so you must be doing something right.
Mike Newell

Shoe

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
I'm your basic cheapskate.  I buy 2, 4, and 6 lb spools fishing line (250 yrds for ~ $12 vs. tippet of 30 yrds for $5+) and make my own spools to carry to the river. It has more memory than real tippet and is slightly less strength for the same diameter, but I'm not good enough fisherman to tell the difference.

Yes. This is a man after my own heart.  I fish mostly lakes and use flourocarbon.  I have some Rio Flouroflex that I buy in the bulk spool but often just use P-line.

s

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
I'm a bit heavy handed. I like mono cause it stretches.  2,4,6 lb trilene XL.   

Vanish

• Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
I finally ran out of tippet and I think I have decided to go with the cheapskate route. The 4lb line on our spinning rods is easily as thin as the 5x I was using and a tenth the price.

Also, I had been using Rio 6x flouro when I thought light was necessary and it was great to start but after 6 months it no longer has the same strength. We started losing flies just casting with it. I will not be buying that brand again.

Oyey

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Rio x5..  ;D

I am amazed how expensive some of those other brands can get!
All the hub bub over fluoro. I've caught 10's of thousands of fish. Fluoro shmuoro. Just another way to get money. The sport is expensive to begin with. Thirteen dollars for some fancy schmancy tippet is ridiculous. Don't Be ridiculous. 

Agree a thousand percent.   4.50 or 14.99. It's not 3x better. Shouldn't cost 3x more. Ridiculous.

I use flouro, but I buy it in 2,3,4 and 5 lb test... Sunline.  It is expensive for flouro, but SUPER cheap compared to the 25 yard spools you buy at the fly shop... to take it further, since many are critical of flouro prices, you could buy a quality mono or copoly (fishes a lot like flouro) for even cheaper... for that I would recommend trilene xl, Berkley nanofil or anything by sunline. 

bsear

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »

silvertip8k

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • Hi-Stick It !
    • View Profile
    • tales of a wandering monk
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
here is my suggestion...I can believe I missed out on a chance to harass DOK...

get a PT job at a fly shop...make friends w/ all the rep guys that walk through the door...and make sure you ask for buff outs at the big show in Denver...I still have stuff from 4 years ago...LOL...flouro is  high $$...so what...let them eat cake...

all the stuff we buy is so marked up it is ridiculous...DOK is right...besides you have to "grease" flouro to fish dries effectlively...it is pretty much a nymphing product...but doe have about 20-25% more strength per size...

I just hope the stuff dont go bad($louro)...I have quite a few spools of it I havent even opened up yet...LOL... ;D ;Dt

ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
Ps. 24:1
public land pope & young
public water 20"er
www.wmflyrodco.com

knute

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
From what I've read, fluoro doesn't degrade in UV light like nylon mono, and, one issue with it is environmental, i.e., because it doesn't degrade, it lasts years and years in the environment when discarded. Which means in about 100 years, we'll be tripping over the stuff out in the cricks.  But the good news is, it lasts years and years, so, Ted, you may not have to worry about it going bad. 

I talked to a guy who used to be a sales rep for Frog Hair and some other brands, and he said he knew of Rio tippett occasionally having bad batches, presumably due to poor extrusion process or something like that, and so they had problems with weak spots and lots of breakage, knot failures, etc.  He said Rio actually did some sort of recall way back when when that happened.  So, we might just get a bad spool of that or maybe other brands also every now and then, and that may not mean the whole brand is bad.  But for most of us, one bad spool and we'll swear off the brand for life. Sorta like the aversive conditioning phenomenon achieved with certain types of tequila, blackberry brandy or other assorted noxious beverages back in college days.

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »
tippet to tequilla.. I like this step 36_2_1
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

silvertip8k

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • Hi-Stick It !
    • View Profile
    • tales of a wandering monk
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
you know I am going to sleep better after this all...! t
ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
Ps. 24:1
public land pope & young
public water 20"er
www.wmflyrodco.com

knute

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
tippet to tequilla.. I like this step 36_2_1

No matter what the subject, there's always a connection.