Author Topic: Backpacker/Wilderness Seeker... New to Fly Fishing  (Read 1671 times)

DrPants

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
Backpacker/Wilderness Seeker... New to Fly Fishing
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
Hi there,

My husband and I try to get as far into the wilderness as possible as often as possible. This year alone, we've camped in the Carson of New Mexico, Death Valley, and most recently I had my first fly-fishing guided trip in Boulder Mountain, Utah. We live in New Mexico and love to travel into southern Colorado for wilderness trips. Last summer we ventured into the Vallecito area of the Weminuche wilderness.

We're looking for a 5-6 day (50 or so mile) backcountry backpacking trek in mid to late June. The more high mountain lakes and streams, the better. I've been looking around in San Juan, Rio Grande, and Gunnison areas, but would prefer to find a place that is difficult to reach (i.e. less traffic). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacker/Wilderness Seeker... New to Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
Welcome.
One of the Board Members Jfred17
Is a published author that has spent some time in the south west region of Colorado.
He would be the one to seek out.
Other notable South West Hikers and fishers are Coloradonative and Key they both spend a bunch of time in Northern New Mexico as well
You can PM questions or ask them in open forum if you'd like.
There have been several reports in the past few years about the particular area you have questions about.
I cant give you a direct link but there are not that many reports between now and 2011.
Give the site a ride and check it ooot..
Once again welcome
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people

Rick

• Colorado Mountain Man
  • Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Mountain Fishing
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
The San Juan and Rio Grande areas would be the better options in June, they traditionally have more open water and less traffic.  Jfred's train trip would probably be a good option for you guys, look for his past reports.
The worst part of losing good fish is that you cannot release them. They tailwalk across the back of your mind for days.' - Christopher Camuto

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
Welcome!!

I have quite a bit of experience in the Sangres and up around Gunnison and Crested Butte.  My wife and I love to hike up to the high mountain lakes, it's about the only way I can get my wife to go fishing with me.

Take care,

Darv
Life is better served next to a high mountain lake.

jfred17

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • www.jonathanfhill.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Welcome to the site! And thanks DOK but I don't know much compared to everyone else on this bored! haha

I would second the san juan and/or the sangres.

Dang old king

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • I fish there fore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:51:01 AM »
Welcome to the site! And thanks DOK but I don't know much compared to everyone else on this bored! haha

And Humble..
im·ma·ture  (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj.
1. How boring people describe fun people