Author Topic: Looking for low pressure, high elevation fly fishing  (Read 857 times)

Breathegood

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
Looking for low pressure, high elevation fly fishing
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »
I'm Jake.

I found this forum in a round about way researching some high mountain lakes via GoogleMaps.  The articles have been very useful in picking a spot for the weekend, but left me wanting when I moved away from the Chaffee county section.

For the coming weekend I'll likely end up at Pomeroy Lakes above Saint Elmo.  Anybody have pointers on flies or technique up there?

I live in Castle Rock and am looking to find some places that I can pull a day trip or single night trip without feeling rushed.  I'd like to keep it to within about a three hour drive from home.  I have a moderate-heavily modified 4x4 and lots of experience navigating rough roads.  While I am in pretty good shape and sure footed, I'm not currently outfitted for locations that require extensive hiking in and out (but I'm working on it).

I grew up in Gunnison and am pretty familiar with many of the back roads from from Gunnison to Glenwood Springs to Golden to Canon City.  The Collegiate Peaks/Taylor Park area being closest to my heart.

I'd like to learn more about fishing in the Holy Cross wilderness and the upper reaches of the Eagle River, but I'm coming up short on good information.  Hopefully, this is an active enough community to provide some good advice.

Thanks!

Vanish

• Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for low pressure, high elevation fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
Howdy Breathegood!

Information, yes, we all want it. The best info is one of those things that's generally earned around here. Post up some reports of places you visit and you'll spark discussion and often gain some more intel on the surrounding area.

We also like to play Sherlock. Often there are clues left in posts that will, with some effort, get you the location. There's a lot of great reports on the members forums here with even better info than the main site lake pages.

While I am in pretty good shape and sure footed, I'm not currently outfitted for locations that require extensive hiking in and out (but I'm working on it).

What would constitute "extensive hiking" for you? It absolutely varies from person to person. I have one friend that won't go more than 2 miles in and another that will day hike a marathon ( I did it once, probably never again! ).

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for low pressure, high elevation fly fishing
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
My rule of thumb is if you can drive to it, it sucks.