Author Topic: Epic trips?  (Read 960 times)

solo

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
Epic trips?
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
It's that time of year where I start dreaming of high country adventures.  Any body have any epic trips planned?  I have a 30+ mile mostly off trail trip in the Flat Tops on the wish list.

Shoe

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Epic trips?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »
I have gone on epic trips the last few year to lakes in the Wind River range with Lab.  HUGE brookies and goldens.  It is SO brutal trying to catch those brookies.  I had a bad migraine on last years trip.  So, I may not do that one.  Instead, I am dreaming of a several day long trip to some lakes in the Gore Range for brookies.  I usually go there once a summer to fish a couple of these.  But, Lunkerking put a new one on my list that is so far in that it will require several days.  I was also thinking of a trip to the SW Flattops to trying a few lakes down that way.  Most of these require some off-trail hiking.  We have had some winterkill in some of the plains lakes in North Colorado, South WY; I am think we will see winterkill in some of our high lakes this year.  Like in the Flattops and elsewhere.  Hope to meet you one of these days on one of these trips.

s

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
Yes I am drooling also.  Prolly try the big brooky lake again, this time in Sept.   Also Bro wants to do a 5-6 dayer on the Rez.   There's a lake near Yampa that has confirmed 24"+ cutbows last fall in it. Its accesible by dirtbike.  Been there many times, a nice 2-dayer.  Yes I know of LK's brooky lake also. Could almost do that in 1 day. ;)  Hope to hit the Tops for some high lakers .

WVBrookie

• Hermit Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:55:02 AM »
Nothing that I would call "epic" but I already have two trips scheduled for Colorado. It appears that, due to scheduling conflicts, solo and I won't be able to hook up this year. I sure hope we can pick things up again in 2017! That Flattops trip sounds very nice.

First one is a car-camping trip with a coworker I taught to fly fish a few years back and I also took him on his first trip to Colorado in 2011...now he's hooked (like me)! We will be doing another southern swing along through the south San Juans chasing Rio Grande cutts.

Second trip will late September with my fiance. Last year was her first trip to Colorado and she loved it! Last year we were in the San Juans, this year we are staying in Buena Vista and (hopefully) a day or two with blueskyfly.

Chris

blueskyfly

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
Nothing that I would call "epic" but I already have two trips scheduled for Colorado. It appears that, due to scheduling conflicts, solo and I won't be able to hook up this year. I sure hope we can pick things up again in 2017! That Flattops trip sounds very nice.

First one is a car-camping trip with a coworker I taught to fly fish a few years back and I also took him on his first trip to Colorado in 2011...now he's hooked (like me)! We will be doing another southern swing along through the south San Juans chasing Rio Grande cutts.

Second trip will late September with my fiance. Last year was her first trip to Colorado and she loved it! Last year we were in the San Juans, this year we are staying in Buena Vista and (hopefully) a day or two with blueskyfly.

Chris
Hopefully timing coincides with the aspen change which can be awesome. Blue Skies to your plans.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:47:46 PM by blueskyfly »
Mike Newell

Hunt4lyf

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 08:48:30 PM »
I'm new to posting on this forum but figured I'd better take advantage of an active thread while there is one so, I have a trip after grayling planned that's about 25 miles round trip, Goldens that'll be about 15 miles round trip and lakers that'll be about 20 miles or so round trip, all trips will have a bit of off trail stuff. I just hope my schedule will allow all of them.

solo

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:17:43 PM »
I'm new to posting on this forum but figured I'd better take advantage of an active thread while there is one so, I have a trip after grayling planned that's about 25 miles round trip, Goldens that'll be about 15 miles round trip and lakers that'll be about 20 miles or so round trip, all trips will have a bit of off trail stuff. I just hope my schedule will allow all of them.

If the Grayling lake is in the Collegiate Peaks it winter killed two years ago. There are still some good cutthroat and Brookie waters in that area.

Hunt4lyf

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »

If the Grayling lake is in the Collegiate Peaks it winter killed two years ago. There are still some good cutthroat and Brookie waters in that area.

Drag, that was the one. I was going to call the bio next week for that area, guess I don't have to now.

solo

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »

Drag, that was the one. I was going to call the bio next week for that area, guess I don't have to now.

I'd go ahead and call the bio.  I'd be curious if they plan to restock it with Grayling.

Hunt4lyf

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »

I'd go ahead and call the bio.  I'd be curious if they plan to restock it with Grayling.

I was thinking about it and I'm still going to call, never know what else I might find out from him. I'll let you know what he says.

Lab

• Hermit Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Planning on WYO Winds in June, Hog pond and Blue Lake Zirkels June and July 2x, Shoe's Brookie Lake, and a few others.  Can't wait 

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
Yeah Lab, Id like to try the Blue lake Zirkels.

solo

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 08:50:13 AM »

Me Too.  I'm planning on Shoe's Brookie lake in June, but possibly Blue Lake in July

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

Me Too.  I'm planning on Shoe's Brookie lake in June, but possibly Blue Lake in July

It has the same type fish as the one above leadville.  There are not many of those left in this state.

COCarp

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • ColoradoCarp
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »
I've been averaging 5-7 trips each summer.  Don't know where we'll end up but as long as it has a bent rod somewhere in the middle I'm good to go.  Last summer I was really enjoying the high alpine creeks.  Nothing huge but the 1wt loved it.
“The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish.”
- Sam Snead