Author Topic: I've been waiting for this  (Read 223 times)

Iasgair

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
I've been waiting for this
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »
Work has been stressful for the last few months with lay offs and bad management decisions due to lack of knowledge. But that's another story.

I have a new toy to baptize in the streams of our great state. A 7'6" 4wt. bamboo rod. It's a medium fast action and it lawn casts so sweetly I can't wait to get on the water with it. I figure when I take it out this weekend it will be more of getting used to the feel and working on accuracy. Basically becoming one with it.

I can't imagine what it'll feel like when hooked to it's first fish. It'll be dry fly heaven.

I have a reel coming soon for it, it's older than I am by 13 yrs. and I'm 50. From what I've seen of it, it's in better shape than I am. But for now, I'll use another reel. But when it's all together, a bamboo rod, 63 year old reel and a furled leader with dry flies, my wife won't know what to do with me.

Breathegood

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
Re: I've been waiting for this
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
You're going to love the 'boo.  I've been fishing a 6'6" 3wt with silk line all summer on small waters where casting accuracy is crucial.  I can drop a fly as delicate as you please right into the tight spaces.  I can place a fly where I want with my graphite 3wt, but the presentation is.....firm.  I also find that I'm losing less fish on the 'boo.  Something about the way the rod flexes just seems to keep more constant pressure on the hook.  You'll have to really slow down your casting rhythm to load the rod compared to graphite, but there's just something about bamboo that is so satisfying when you lay into a good fish.

Iasgair

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
Re: I've been waiting for this
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
Yes, boo rods are incredible. Started out on boo as a child learning to fish, but then the 70's came in and graphite was the new shiny thing to have. So graphite played the role for many years until recently I got into fiberglass. Well, where does fiberglass lead a person? Bamboo. Full circle.

The reason you're losing less fish Breathegood is because the way the natural product, boo, reacts when a fish is hooked. The whole component is different than graphite and the whole rod absorbs the load with the fish on. Like you said, "constant pressure". That's the best way I can describe it. I'm not too technical, so therefore I fish.

Graphite is great, and it isn't going away, fiberglass is coming back strong. But bamboo was, and is, and always will be the top of the game.

I'm glad you're into it as well Breathegood.