Author Topic: Just Found ColoradoMountainFishing  (Read 1454 times)

Gunnison_Country

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
    • Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country
Just Found ColoradoMountainFishing
« on: August 21, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
Hola-
     I'm brand new to this site and LOVE to fly fish in Colorado, but specifically in the Gunnison Valley.  I don't think there is anywhere in the state that can compare with the variety and quality of fisheries present in the Gunnison Basin.  Hoping there are some other folks on here that feel the same way and maybe will be up for comparing notes and maybe learning something new about THE marquee fishery in the state of Colorado...the Gunnison Country.
Doug Dillingham
Author of "Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country"
www.GunnisonFlyFish.com

WVBrookie

• Hermit Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Just Found ColoradoMountainFishing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
Welcome and I think you'll find some glass fisherman on here too.

Chris

Iasgair

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Gunnison is a spectacular place with no arguments. Glad to have another fly fisher aboard who can share knowledge about that area. I fish the Cache La Poudre quite often, but have been spending time more often on the small creeks tucked away in the IPWA where it isn't so crowded.

Breathegood

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »
I grew up in Gunnison, but never appreciated the fishery until I had moved away.  Some friends (who also grew up there) and I will be camping out near Ohio Creek over Labor day weekend.  We have our regular spot to fish (which is always good) but will be spending an extra day this time...any hot tips on where the fishing has been exceptionally good this year?  I'll wager that if you name a spot, I know it.

Gunnison_Country

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
    • Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »
Breathegood-
     The fishing has been really good everywhere.  Full disclosure, I have been prepping for archery season so I haven't been out on the river in a couple of days but I know the Gunnison is fishing really well for guys that are floating.  The salmon are in the Gunnison full-force (guardrail hole and the kokanee hotel are likely spots to find a mess of koks) so if you are walk/wading and can get a salmon hole you can have a great day for both salmon and the big trout following them.  You really can't go wrong this time of year.  Hope you have a fantastic trip to Gunnison!  Doug
Doug Dillingham
Author of "Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country"
www.GunnisonFlyFish.com

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »
Another Gunnison area fan with lots of experience up there. I went to school at Western and in addition to Gunnison, I also lived up in Mt. CB. A lot of great memories.
Life is better served next to a high mountain lake.