Author Topic: What just happened?  (Read 298 times)

Iasgair

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
What just happened?
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
I was able to get to one of my favorite areas to fish Saturday, and I thought that maybe I'd go in a little deeper into the area. Well, that was my plan. I'm a little older now, and expecting another birthday next month, plus a little rounder in the mid section. Needless to say after that, I didn't get to go where I wanted. But I came close from what I saw on the map after I arrived back home.

It looks as though I'm going to have to start a workout program. Last year I could fish 10 hrs and not blink an eye. Now, what the heck happened? I have to sit and take a little break. Granted, I'm not Superman anymore, but losing your fitness goes fast over the years.

Any suggestions?

ronco

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
Re: What just happened?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
I think it's a conspiracy, they are making the hills steeper and hiking trails longer LOL. I deer and elk hunt, used to use horses for packing out the animals but after getting hurt 3 times by my horses I got rid of them. So I pack everything out on my back. I"m turning 59 this year.
I work out every other day in my basement on my machines and free weights and I walk about 1.5 miles the days I'm not working out with 50 lbs of lead shot on a pack frame.
I cut out the junk food, no soda, I don't drink beer and keep an eye on my weight. There's a million diets out there, you just have to stick to a plan.
Getting old sucks!

Iasgair

• Eleven Mile Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:57 PM »
Yes, getting old does suck, and it comes at a bad time. I agree about the conspiracy, LOL.  I just need to get my bum in gear and get at it. I don't drink soda, but I do have an occasional beer now and then, but not enough to do any damage. I could also cut down my food intake. That's a big part of it.
It's all will power, that's all. And after I get back into shape, then I'll be able to run and jump with the rest of you fishermen.

Vanish

• Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
Five years ago I used to poke fun at people for not getting out there, like it was all mental or something.

Why does stuff just randomly start hurting?>! :D

slayerfish

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
10 years ago I would randomly decide to take 10-20 mile hike in and out in 1 day. Did Slate lake in 1 day, had to be a 24 mile round trip. now that Im almost 59, it aint so easy. 1st the back got hurt, led to a hurt knee, then got plantar flaschitis, then a calf muscle, etc. Just getting freeking old-

I do drink too much also-

Shoe

• Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
I am glad that I only just turned 58.  :D  I just starting hiking the mountain lakes a few years ago.  So, I missed out when younger.  Maybe my joints aren't wore out yet like some other fellows.  I definitely got limits.  I am not going to Slate lake in a day, that's for sure.  I look at Alan, still hiking strongly at 102.  No, seriously he is several years older than myself but no signs of slowing down.

I sure don't have any advice to help.  I pace myself on the hikes.  I let the fast guys like lunkerking and Lab go on ahead without me.  I don't stop much, but plug away slowly.  I try to keep the crap that I bring to a minimum...so, I can drag the float tube.  Duh.

s