Author Topic: Craig Area Fishing  (Read 2133 times)

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
Craig Area Fishing
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »
I will be heading over to the Craig area with my friend Mark to fish/camp and was wondering if anyone has any tips or info for that area (or knows someone)?  I've been wanting to fish over in that area for a couple years now.  We're thinking about fishing Elk Head Res., possibly the Yampa if it isn't too high and muddy & who knows where else over there.  We'll be leaving from the Springs tomorrow at about 2:30.
Life is better served next to a high mountain lake.

• Area 5 Expert ( on loan to the pacific northwest )
  • Paying Member
  • Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Area Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:09:26 AM »
i was thinking the yampa, right bellow stagecoach might not be too blown out with it being a psuedo tailwater. dont know how far from craig that is, also i here the yampa above stagecoach can be nice.

good luck looking forward to some great pix

FLYFISHGEEK

• Area 1 Expert
  • Global Moderator
  • Hermit Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:45:15 AM »
Stagecoach and Elkhead can both be good, the Yampa is some of the best smallmouth fishing in the West, also just about 1 hour south is the White river, and in between is the FLATTOPS, some serious remote country, tons of fishing and not tons of people other than hunting season. Oh yeah, I used to live in Craig and Hayden.

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:52 AM »
Thanks!  I wish gas prices were not so high or I would take the Explorer instead of the little Prizm.  We were wanting to take the float tubes but I'm sure that this time of year shore fishing won't be bad.

D-Moe

• Area 2 Expert
  • Global Moderator
  • Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »

You might check if Pearl Lake is open.  It might be just around ice off up there and there are some nice cutties in there. 

I think rivers are going to be high and off-color. 

Wild trout are too valuable to catch only once, except for those tasty little brookies!

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »
Don't give up on me folks, I plan on submitting a report but I am still waiting on the pics from my freind, Mark.