Poll

Meduim to Difficult 1.25mile hike or Easy to Medium 5 mile hike

Short Hard
4 (66.7%)
Longer easier
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Which would you rather do?  (Read 2112 times)

Rick

• Colorado Mountain Man
  • Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Mountain Fishing
Which would you rather do?
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Im looking at a lake for next summer its one of those hidden gem type lakes that hardly anyone ever fishes and no one talks about.  Looking at Google Earth there looks to be 2 possible routes to it.  A shorter more difficult 1.25 mile hike or a longer easier 5 mile hike... the 5 miler might be the only way to get there I have to check with the forest service to make sure I can drive all the way to the other one or it wont be worth it. Im all about the shorter hike even though it might not cut much time off the longer one, Im curious to what you guys would prefer.
The worst part of losing good fish is that you cannot release them. They tailwalk across the back of your mind for days.' - Christopher Camuto

Highcountry

• Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Which would you rather do?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:20:29 AM »
I've always been the type to choose the shorter steeper route if it is significantly shorter than the longer route.  Keep me in mind when you do it, I love those waters that hold fish and are either not on a map or are not named.
Life is better served next to a high mountain lake.

yatahey

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • Trout Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:26:40 AM »
Rick,
Normally I would take the short steep route if I knew the area. If, however, the long route was up a drainage that had a creek running out of the destination lake and it was the first time going to the lake, I'd follow the drainage to scope out the possibilities of some good pools in the creek.

mtnmann44

• Pacific Tarn Lake
  • Here's to the wilderness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
Well Rick.
 I would have say. How good of shape you will be in at the time.  You can always go up one way and back down the other. If you don't feel right. Then go the easier, longer route. And back down the steep way. Or visa versa.
The best times i have had were above 14,000 Feet.

Rick

• Colorado Mountain Man
  • Administrator
  • Pacific Tarn Lake
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Mountain Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
Well Rick.
 I would have say. How good of shape you will be in at the time.  You can always go up one way and back down the other. If you don't feel right. Then go the easier, longer route. And back down the steep way. Or visa versa.

Wouldnt work on this case... the parking areas are on different sides of the mountain, lol.
The worst part of losing good fish is that you cannot release them. They tailwalk across the back of your mind for days.' - Christopher Camuto

• Area 5 Expert ( on loan to the pacific northwest )
  • Paying Member
  • Baldwin Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
Well Rick.

Wouldnt work on this case... the parking areas are on different sides of the mountain, lol.

tag team it, go with a buddy and park one rig on 1 side of the mountain then drive around to the other. then hike in and out on the different routes. i always like to come home a different way so as to have different sceanery